Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break Culinary Revenge #2: Memphis Taproom


Since I stayed in town during spring break, I decided to do a spring break project with Drexel Student for Christ in the Kensington neighborhood of North Philadelphia. We partnered with Lauren's church, The Free Church of St. John, doing some preparations for Easter with the elementary and middle school youth group. We had such a wonderful time serving these kids; from writing letters for the shut-ins, cleaning up the yard, weeding, planting pansies, and painting the church fence. It was truly a blessing getting to know them.

On our last day there, we decided to start late and grab a brunch. Lauren took us to her favorite joint in the neighborhood called "Memphis Taproom". Located in a rather quiet side called Port Richmond, this place has been featured on Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives".

First thing you'd see as you enter is the bar area. I heard they'll also open their beer garden on April 20th. They have quite a wide selection.


For such a short menu, I spent too much time deciding. I thought I would like to grab something from their brunch menu, but apparently they only serve brunch on weekends. Oh well, after a tough battle between fried banana salad and spaghetti sandwich, my heart was finally set on the fried banana salad. 

So in their menu, the fried banana salad is described as "Baby arugula, red peppers, peanuts, chocolate chipotle vinaigrette". Yes, you read the last ingredient right: Chocolate. Chipotle. Vinaigrette. I thought it was a bizare flavor choice for your salad dressing, but it didn't annoy me so it was OK. The fried banana, though, was mushy. Not quite the way I like my fried banana.

Maybe spaghetti sandwich for next time (if there would ever be a next time).

0 comments:

Post a Comment